Start here 🏁
Are you ready to try something new?
When communication doesn’t go well, you may think it’s your fault. That’s unlikely to be the whole story. What’s happening doesn’t say anything about who you are. It suggests that you haven’t learned the skills yet. Develop those skills and you’ll unblock progress.
Great communicators weren’t born like that! They practised and learned from feedback. You can too. Perhaps you’re in transition: starting a new job or taking on feedback. You want to seem confident when you:
- speak off the cuff
- present to groups of people
- explain your ideas
- lead or inspire teams
Can you imagine a sharper, braver version of yourself? An expert coach can. We’ll find out where you’re blocked and tell you where to focus.
What is a communication coach?
A communication coach works with you, one to one, to improve your communication skills. Like an athlete needs a coach to show them how to improve. They’re experts in learning, which means they can see where you’re blocked and tell you what to practise.
Jonathan will focus on what you need, and show you tricks and techniques that work.
How it works
You know something’s up, but you’re not sure what, exactly, the problem is. So you don’t know how to fix it. That’s why we start by finding out where you’re blocked.
We’ll assess your real-world communication
In the first coaching session, Jonathan will assess your real-world communication. He’ll ask about the experiences which led you to seek us out. Who do you need to connect with? Which aspects are difficult? What would you like to happen?
Based on the stories you share, he’ll:
- identify where you’re blocked
- discuss the impact (on yourself and others)
- encourage you to set bold goals
Exercises + practice = progress
The process in a nutshell:
- Learn skills and techniques during coaching sessions (via exercises and role plays).
- Practise these skills in the workplace between sessions (“homework”).
- Report back on progress. Adjust goals and repeat.
You choose the goals. All we ask is that you practise between sessions.
See changes in the first 3 sessions
If you’re open to trying something new, the speed of change may surprise you. After the first 3 sessions you’ll:
- be able to express your goals and what’s blocking them
- understand what motivates your audience, and how they see you
- have tried out new skills and approaches in the workplace
You’ll have seen a glimpse of the communicator you can become. And you’ll know what it takes to get there.
Skills we can work on 📋
Clients work with Jonathan on skills like:
- Speaking “off the cuff”. A Stanford survey found that MBA students’ top concern was speaking without preparation. Learn techniques to respond on the spot—like Q&A after a talk or explaining your work to leadership.
- Public speaking, including contributing in meetings. Learn to:
- influence people and inspire action
- convey complex ideas to a live audience
- involve the audience and check that they understand
- Confidence. Almost everyone experiences anxiety when they speak in front of people. Learn ways to reduce its impact, including changing your body language. So the audience sees a confident presenter, however you feel.
- Making yourself understood. Learn how to:
- adapt your ideas so others can follow them
- choose the right level of detail or focus
- translate technical concepts into plain language
- Finding a leadership style. How to project confidence and show you can lead, while listening to people’s views. Includes non-verbal communication and eye contact.
- Listening skills. Use active listening to understand people’s point of view, even when you don’t know the subject matter.
- Giving effective feedback. For example, when you oversee people’s work or collaborate across disciplines.
- Dealing with conflict and setting boundaries. For example, if you’re a line manager or work with stakeholders. Learn how to handle pushback and get buy-in. Includes using emotional intelligence to understand what motivates people.
Your coach: Jonathan Kahn
Jonathan Kahn is a communication coach who’s worked with hundreds of people since 2013. He’s coached engineers, designers, bankers, surgeons, CEOs and UN Peacekeepers. He works in London and online, with people around the world.
Jonathan is a skilled listener. Clients describe his, “uncanny knack for identifying the major issues to address.” He understands how people learn new skills—and what gets in the way. In a few minutes he can:
- identify what’s blocking communication
- show you where to focus your attention
His unique approach comes from an unusual career path, starting as a web developer. He realised that what’s difficult about websites isn’t code—it’s getting people to work together. This insight started him on the path to becoming a communication coach.
Since then he’s learned advanced improvisation and facilitation techniques. He has organised—and presented at—conferences worldwide. He’s also trained the UK’s leading digital teams, like the Government Digital Service. After more than a decade in London, Jonathan now lives in West Wales with his partner and two children.
Benefits of communication coaching
Good communication is essential to success in the workplace. But many people don’t know where to start. You can solve this problem by working with a coach.
The benefits of communication coaching include:
- space to explore patterns and try solutions
- focusing on the skills you need right now
- practising your skills and getting feedback
Let’s take each one in turn.
Space to explore patterns and try solutions
Coaching gives you space to dig deeper than normal:
- What are the patterns around your communication?
- What do you find difficult or avoid?
- How does this affect you and the people around you?
Your coach will set exercises and teach you techniques to change the way you communicate. You’ll try these out in the workplace and report back.
Focus on the skills you need right now
You’ll work one to one with your coach, so you can focus on the issues you’re facing. Instead of general advice, you get specific direction. You’ll apply what you learn as soon as you get back to your desk, so you’ll make significant progress in a few sessions.
Access coaching as and when you need it. Conference presentation coming up? Book in some sessions. Tricky conversation that you’re not sure how to handle? Time for another call.
Practise your skills and get feedback
Elite athletes have to train. Maestros rehearse. And even the best communicators need to practise their skills.
But for senior professionals it’s difficult to find a space to try things out and get feedback. Coaching gives you a private space and direct, expert input. Whether it’s for a presentation to execs or a tricky meeting with a direct report.
Choose a plan that suits you. Let’s get started!
What people say 💬
“Jonathan’s unique coaching approach is the reason I first gained the confidence to speak at an event. His calm, insightful, knowledgeable advice is some of the best I’ve had. I’m grateful to him for giving me the tools to develop my own abilities further.”—Laura Morgan, Senior Product Manager, The Economist
“Jonathan helped me communicate my expertise in a way that meets people where they are. In a sea of coaches, Jonathan is tactical, tested and bespoke. He’s an uncanny listener, able to identify and unpick patterns to help me grow as a professional.”—Jessica Wittebort, Chief Experience Officer North America, WONGDOODY (Infosys)
“I reached out to Jonathan for coaching when I had a difficult conversation coming up. I wanted a different perspective on how to frame it to work for both parties. Recommended for anyone who wants to strengthen their communication toolkit.”—Jo Hamilton Watson, Global Head of Design Research, HSBC Corporate Bank
Questions & answers
We’ve answered some common questions about communication coaching below. (Didn’t find the answer you need? Get in touch!)
How do you deliver coaching sessions?
Sessions happen via Zoom at a time that suits you. They’re 1 hour long.
Can you fit around my schedule?
Probably! Jonathan has a flexible schedule. If you can book ahead he can accommodate most people’s needs.
What about timezones?
Jonathan is located in the UK. He can easily work with Europe / Africa / America timezones. He can normally work with other timezones too.
How do I book sessions?
You have a few options:
- book a block sessions in advance, eg weekly at the same time
- pick times from Jonathan’s calendar using Calendly
- email Jonathan to arrange a suitable time
How many sessions will I need?
Every client is different. Which means that when we start, we don’t know how many sessions you’ll need.
We’ve found that after 3 sessions most people have a clear idea of:
- where they’re blocked
- what they’ll achieve from practising new skills
- what it’ll take to get there
This means that after the first 3 sessions you’ll have a clearer picture of how long coaching might take.
Can everyone improve their communication skills?
As long as you’re open minded and willing to try new things, the answer is YES.
Sometimes people ask this because they’ve noticed that other people appear to be natural communicators. And they’re worried that they might not have what it takes.
It’s true that some people find aspects of communication more difficult than others. But nobody was born with communication skills. People who look like naturals may have worked hard to get to that point. Often over a number of years.
If you haven’t focused on communication before, you might be surprised at the speed of your progress.
Is it possible to build confidence?
Absolutely! We work on confidence with every client.
If you lack confidence when you communicate, you’re not alone. We’ll show you many exercises and techniques to build your confidence.
Can I work on communication in my personal life instead of work/business?
No. We coach people in effective workplace communication. We don’t cover personal or social contexts.
There are some overlaps. For example, people often mention that they’ve found techniques helpful at home. You may find that some of what you learn applies to your life outside work. But our sessions will focus on achieving goals at work, or in a professional context.
We make an exception for high stakes events where you need to give a presentation. Like a speech at a wedding. These aren’t work events, but they have similar challenges.
Book a consultation
A 30-minute consultation with communication coach Jonathan Kahn.
During the call Jonathan will:
- assess your real-world communication and show you where you’re blocked
- explain whether coaching or group training would be most effective, and how many sessions you’ll need
- answer your questions about the coaching process
Take the first step! Choose a date 👇👉